Wednesday, April 30, 2014

sealed

It’s a quest that probably will never have a completion.
Never have a happy ending.
It quite possibly could be impossible. I have no idea.
Maybe it's like love. You always want it to be like in the movies. Those 87-minute or so pieces of celluloid that always end happily. You never see the other, oh, 60, 70 years.
But it doesn’t mean I won’t stop looking.
What the fuck am I looking for? (Randy, why do you have to cuss so much?)
I’m looking for an unopened, sealed shut, copy of INXS’ cassette tape “Listen Like Thieves.”
Why?
Because I still remember the way it smelled when I opened it one day back in 1985. That smell now is a curse, because I can’t describe it. Which is why I want to find a copy of the original pressing of the tape. Sent to a Sam Goody’s or Peaches or Tower Records that year.
It’s got to be a clear cassette tape. Not black. Not covered with a sticker. Or any of the other ways it was released over the years.
I still have my old, very worn copy of LLT. It’s been through the ringer of my high school days. Of road trips and cross-country moves. Of being in blizzards and in 120-degree days without air conditioning.
Will I find one? I can always hope so.
There was a Canadian version on ebay not too long ago. I thought about buying it anyway, but didn’t. It might even still be there. It’s not the one I want. Or, to be silly, what cha need.
So, I will keep looking.
I probably would have had better luck in the late-1990s and early 2000s. When record stores started to die in a fast way. Much like newspapers, right when I was deciding to go to work (for the rest of my life!) at one.
Idiot.
Or not.
Depends on your perspective.
I’m not going to make it to 750 words.

I need to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment